Brand building has always been a top priority for businesses of all sizes and as the marketplace becomes increasingly crowded, companies need to stand out more from the competition to attract and retain customers. While traditional advertising can help raise awareness and generate leads, earned media is a powerful tool that can be even more effective in building a brand.
Earned media refers to the coverage and exposure a brand receives through third-party sources, such as media outlets, influencers, and social media shares. Unlike paid advertising, earned media is not purchased or controlled by the brand, but rather it is earned through the quality of a brand’s products, services, or reputation. Earned media can take many forms, such as positive reviews, press coverage, social media mentions, and word-of-mouth recommendations. It’s the bread and butter of our media relations team at PRIME|PR.
Here are some of the reasons why earned media is so powerful in building a brand:
- Credibility and Trust
One of the biggest advantages of earned media is that it is viewed as more credible and trustworthy than paid advertising. Consumers are more likely to trust recommendations from people they know, such as friends and family, as well as from reputable sources, such as media outlets and influencers. When a brand is mentioned in the media or receives positive reviews from customers, it can enhance its credibility and build trust with potential customers.
Another advantage of earned media is that it is often more cost-effective than paid advertising. While advertising can be expensive, earning media coverage and mentions is often free, or at least significantly cheaper than buying advertising space. This means that earned media can be a great option for small businesses or startups with limited marketing budgets.
- Reaches a wider audience
Earned media can also help a brand reach a wider audience than paid advertising. Media outlets and influencers often have large followings and can help introduce a brand to new audiences who may not have been aware of it otherwise. Additionally, earned media coverage can be shared and re-shared on social media, which can help amplify a brand’s reach even further.
- Builds brand awareness and recognition
Earned media can also be effective in building brand awareness and recognition. When a brand is mentioned in the media or receives positive reviews, it can help raise awareness of the brand and its products or services. Over time, this can help build brand recognition and make it easier for customers to remember and recognize the brand.
- Increases brand loyalty
Finally, earned media can also help increase brand loyalty. When customers see that a brand is receiving positive coverage and reviews, it can reinforce their positive feelings about the brand and make them more likely to continue doing business with it. Additionally, customers who have had positive experiences with a brand are more likely to recommend it to their friends and family, which can help generate even more earned media coverage.
So, how can a brand earn media coverage and mentions? Here are some tips:
- Provide excellent products and services: The foundation of earned media is providing excellent products and services that customers love. When a brand delivers great value and quality, it is more likely to receive positive reviews, mentions, and media coverage.
- Build relationships with influencers and media outlets: To increase the likelihood of receiving earned media coverage, brands can build relationships with influencers and media outlets in their industry. This can involve reaching out to journalists and bloggers, attending events, or offering to collaborate with influencers on sponsored content.
- Encourage user-generated content: Brands can also encourage their customers to create user-generated content, such as social media posts and reviews, by offering incentives or creating campaigns around specific hashtags or themes. User-generated content can help amplify a brand’s reach and increase its chances of receiving earned media coverage.
- Participate in industry events and conferences: Attending industry events and conferences can help brands build relationships with influencers and journalists, as well as give them the opportunity to showcase their products and services to a wider audience.
- Create engaging content: Brands can also create engaging content, such as blog posts, videos, and infographics, that is relevant to their target audience. This can help establish the brand as a thought leader in its industry and increase its chances of being mentioned or featured in media outlets.
- Offer unique experiences: Brands can also offer unique experiences to their customers, such as exclusive events or behind-the-scenes tours, that can generate buzz and positive word-of-mouth.
- Respond to feedback: Finally, brands should monitor their brand mentions and respond to feedback, whether it is positive or negative. Responding to feedback in a timely and professional manner can help build trust and credibility with customers, as well as demonstrate the brand’s commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- CONTACT US
600 Congress Ave, 14th Floor, Austin, TX 78701 | 512-698-7373
Whether you just need a quick PR-related question answered, an unbiased review of a press release, a sounding board for whether your pitch should be offered to everyone or as an exclusive – PRIME|PR is ready to help.
If you need more – top level strategy on messaging and branding, creative pitch creation and execution to get more ink, or a fully integrated PR and marketing campaign from scratch, PRIME|PR is your agency. Let us show you what we can do.